Search this site - powered by
In the Beginning
The Long Island Rail Road Station
Maple Grove Cemetery and Vicinity
Homes of Kew
Lefferts Boulevard and Vicinity
Queens Boulevard and Vicinity
Metropolitan Avenue and Vicinity
Kew Garden Apartments
Kew Gardens in the News
PS99 Photographs and More
Where Are They?
Kew Gardens Improvement Association
Links to Other Web Sites of Interest
Pictures dated 1911 and 2001
Click images to enlarge
The New Station at Kew
As part of its deal for a direct right of way, the Long Island Railroad opened a new station on September 8, 1910 called "Kew" - a name one newspaper ridiculed. Using the new East River tunnels, trains could reach Penn Station in only 15 minutes. Residential development of the area became inevitable. In 1912, Kew separated from Richmond Hill and was renamed Kew "Gardens", inspired in part by its namesake in England and in part by neighboring Forest Hills Gardens.
Kew Gardens: Urban Village in the Big City
, pp. 14 - 16, 31, 44 (Kew Gardens Council on Recreation and the Arts 1999)
Carl Ballenas and Nancy Cataldi,
Images of America - Richmond Hill
, p. 44 (Arcadia Publ. 2002)
Circa 1907 picture from the Man Family Archives
1911 Map Showing "Kew"
1910 Newspaper Article Ridiculing the Name, "Kew"
1910 photograph of the old Penn Station
1910 photograph of Forest Hills Gardens