The First P.S. 99|
Pictures dated c. 1920 and 2002 (click to enlarge)
The large brick P.S. 99 building on Kew Gardens Road was not constructed until 1923. Before that, P.S. 99 was just a small, portable, wood schoolhouse located on Cuthbert Road one half block east of Lefferts Avenue (Boulevard). The ornate fence on the left side of the top picture was part of the Fleischman Estate which has since given way to the Beverly House Apartments. The brick stanchion is all that remains today of the original view.
Reference: Barry Lewis, "Kew Gardens: Urban Village in the Big City", pp. 16, 58 - 60 (1999).